Click to Home
Stay Connected
(785) 251-2000
Go To Search

How to Find Child Care in Shawnee County
Finding Child Care Facilities
There are hundreds of child care providers in Shawnee County. The Shawnee County Health Agency Child Care Licensing program inspects all licensed/group child care facilities, centers/preschool facilities, school aged programs (including summer camps) and drop-in programs in Shawnee County.

To find a listing of facilities from homes, centers, preschools, school age and drop-in programs in Shawnee County visit Child Care Aware or call them at 785.357.5171.

It is important to conduct thorough interviews with any potential provider/facility and whenever possible, drop-in on a regular basis to your facility. This is a great way to see how your child is doing, how staff interacts with your child and how the program operates. If you are provided with a contract to sign, read it carefully and only sign when you fully understand the document. It is important to always keep a signed copy for your records.

Choosing a Child Care for Your Family
If you are looking to enroll your child(ren) into child care, it is very important that you choose a licensed facility. When a facility is licensed they are required to follow state regulations and statues and are subject to inspections.

To research a facility in Shawnee County to include prior inspection reports visit Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Kansas Law requires child cares to have a license under K.S.A. 65-501. License or temporary permit required: exemptions. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or association to conduct or maintain a child care facility for children under 16 years of age without having a license or temporary permit.