Click to Home
Stay Connected
(785) 251-2000
Go To Search

Nuisance Complaints
The Shawnee County Code gives the authority to deal with nuisances to the Shawnee County Health Agency (SCHA) under the following conditions:
  • Any lot or parcel of ground in any platted subdivision of the County
  • Any parcel of land four acres or less adjacent to an occupied residence, located outside the corporate limits of a city
  • Any part of the county, in the case of abandoned vehicles

SCHA may also use the Kansas State Nuisance Statute on any property in the county and usually starts a nuisance investigation because it received a complaint.

Nuisance Description

According to the Code, a nuisance is any condition which:
  • Injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, safety, or welfare of the public
  • Offends decency
  • Is offensive to the senses
  • Unlawfully interferes with, obstructs or tends to obstruct, or renders dangerous for passage any public or private street, highway, sidewalk, stream, ditch, or drainage
  • In any way renders another person insecure in life or the use of property
  • Essentially interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of life and property, or tends to depreciate the value of the property of another

Pursuing Complaints
SCHA is mainly concerned with nuisances that affect public health and in consultation with the County Counselor and the Health Officer, will decide which complaints to pursue if there is an issue of the complaint being a public health or private issue.

More Information
To read more in depth on the subject of Nuisance Complaints, please read Shawnee County Code Ch. 23, Article III.